Just like with baking or cooking, there are essential items needed to make your coffee brewing what it should be. And, yes, it’s more than just an expensive coffee brewer and coffee grinder. Know-how is a requirement here, as well as having the right set of tools so your coffee comes off without a hitch.
Here’s a few items you should stock your brew corner with at home:
- A digital thermometer – Many coffee methods, especially French Press, require a certain brew temperature to get it just right.
- A timer – A good thing to keep around so you can time how long the water and coffee have been in contact – essential to prevent burning of your coffee!
- A coffee scoop – When it comes to coffee, you want your coffee measurements to be consistent for a good cup every time. A coffee scoop is essential to maintaining that consistency.
- A tea kettle preferably with a long spout – This comes in handy when you’re using a brew method that relies on slow pouring, like the V60 drip method.
- Digital scale – Consistent measuring again is key. You’ll want a scale that can measure in grams, as that is how most coffee recipes list their required measurements.
- Air tight storage containers – Always use fresh beans, and keep them that way by limiting their air exposure as much as possible.
- Grinder – Always, always, always grind your beans fresh.
- Filtered water – This may sound picky, but tap water can so often ruin an otherwise good cup of coffee with its unfiltered taste. Using filtered water means a purer tasting cup of coffee.